This is an attractive dormitory settlement, probably best described as an 'urban village'.
The origins of Radlett can be traced back further than the 18th century and there is evidence of a settlement of some kind here from Roman times. In the main, however, Radlett developed in response to excellent rail and road communications. Its proximity to the City via express rail links means that it has become a popular residence for commuters.
Development here really accelerated after the First World War when the village began to acquire the characteristics of a dormitory settlement.
Today Radlett has a population of around 8,000 and offers residents and visitors a good range of shops, pubs and restaurants along the central Watling Street.
A relatively new and welcome addition is the Radlett Centre a project initiated by Aldenham Parish Council, Hertsmere Borough Council and Hertfordshire County Council. The centre provides accommodation for the Parish Council Offices, an improved village library, a community hall providing theatre and concert facilities, meeting rooms and bar and refreshment area.
In 1864 Radlett was separated from the parish of Aldenham and members of local prominent families determined to build and partially endow a church for the village.
A young curate named Thomas Marsden came to the village and preached in the open air until Christ Church was completed near a site where for a short time in the Middle Ages a small chantry chapel had stood.
As Radlett expanded in the early years of this century the church was enlarged to include a new nave, chancel, vestries and organ loft. Since that time other small alterations and additions have been made including the installation of six bells in 1964 to celebrate the church's centenary.